Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Spotlight on Amy Aderman, upcoming GSQA presenter


I smiled while reading how Amy Aderman's new job digital marketing manager Vanessa Denniston, started her introduction of Amy..."The new kids, they always get all the attention..."   It's a good read, so here's the full article.   

So, yes, let's give Amy even more attention.  Amy is the Gulf States Quilting Association's quarterly meeting presenter, July 28, 2018 in Long Beach, Mississippi.    Applause 

Amy has a long history of touching, cutting, sewing fabric beginning at the knees of her grandmother at about 4 years old.  Amy continued  through the years to make garments and home dĂ©cor until she started making quilts about six years ago.....and, as they say, 'the rest is history'.   Now, a  sales rep for Jaftex Corporation, a 4th generation family owned business based out of New York City, Amy enjoys the pleasure of being  one of the first to see all the new fabric lines of Blank Quilting Corporation, Studeoe Fabrics, 3 Wishes StofA E Nathan Co., and recently purchased Free Spirit and more.

When I asked Amy about her GSQA program, she readily admitted that she was still working on that!  But, she went on to say that included will be her experience as a fabric rep....what she does, what life on the job is like, how shops select and order fabric, and other aspects of the fabric industry - design, production, where and how it's made, fabric quality, etc. 

Here's what Amy says about how her sewing/quilting history has helped her job performance: 
"Many sales reps in the industry do not sew or quilt.  But Jaftex realizes that people who know and use their fabrics are an asset.  My knowledge as a sewer/quilter helps me connect with and relate to my customers. They respect and appreciate my understanding of their business and their retail customers.  I am able to suggest projects and uses for the fabrics and what's trending now in the quilting community." 
Amy's response to "What was your greatest fear when starting your new job?"
"I'm sure it's the same thing everyone fears with every new job....FAILURE.  I started this job with no previous sales experience and sales was something I never thought I'd like or be good at.  My pay is commission based on my sales, so if I fail, my bills don't get paid!  That was pretty scary at first.  It was also a big lifestyle change for me - from 9-5 office jobs, to a 100% self-employed job where I set my own schedule, spend a lot of time away from home, driving and staying in hotels."
When asked about her most rewarding moment, Amy readily agreed that
"it is just awesome to get paid to do something fun and spend time with people who share my biggest passion - making stuff!" 
Just recently completed is Amy's liberated log cabin quilt inspired by the quilters of Gees Bend, Alabama, which was a blue ribbon winner at the April GSQA quilt show - 1st place in the Modern Category.



Congratulations, Amy. 
We look forward to your Gulf States Quilting Association presentation in July. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment...We love hearing from you!