Pages

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Scrap Happy Scrap Buster Quilts



It's was just a pile of scraps - a few days ago! And, as the song goes, 'baby, won't you look at her now?'  A beautifully pieced pile of Christmas fabric by Mary Duhon Louviere.  Mary says,




"I do a lot of Christmas projects so 2-3 years ago I started sewing the scraps together to make 5 inch blocks and saving all unused triangle blocks. When I felt I had enough I put them together with white sashing. I will quilt this one this fall."

And the sweetest note from Kelly Broussard along with a picture of her scrap quilt. 




"Marty, this is the first scrap quilt I made.  I found a picture on Pinterest and completed it in May 2016. I'm working on another scrap quilt using 16 patch stars,  but it's still a wip. 

Thanks
Kelly Broussard
Ps. I enjoy your blog!  Thanks for posting!"
 
 
Kelly, it's scrap quilts such as yours that make my heart sing.
 
Love, love, love Gloria Raggio's scrap-made tumbling jewel.  
 
 
 
Gloria says this is one of her favorite quilts made from scraps done as a Bonnie Hunter scrap busting challenge.  She used this setting so she wouldn't have to match seams as in a more traditional tumbler setting!! Girl after my own heart. 
 
And one of my personal favorites, a design idea out of "making quilts" with Kathy Doughty of Material Obsession.....Greenfields:
 
 
Books, oh, my!  Aren't there just a number of books on how to use those fabric scraps in quilts and so many other projects.  Zakka Style helps us use those scraps in 24 projects complied by Rashida Coleman-Hale from bags and totes to potholders, pin cushions and more. 
 
 
And Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison: 
 
 
 
Also by Amanda Jean Nyberg is No Scrap Left Behind  with bragging rights to 16 quilt projects. 
 
 
An oldie, but certainly a good one to jump start the love. This book continues to make me
Scrap Happy....by Sally Schneider: 
 
 
 
So, what do you do with your fabric scraps?  Do you organize by the size or shape of the scrap?  by color?   Do you cut in squares or strips? 
 
 
Scrap quilting isn't for every quilter just as buying packaged kits isn't for everyone.   So.....if 
 you aren't in love with piecing with fabric scraps.....well, just pass those scraps on. 
 
But by all means, don't just sit on them! 
Signed:  A Happy Quilter in Scrap Heaven
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment...We love hearing from you!