Pages

Monday, June 26, 2017

Put your little head on this ~



Sweet dreams on your very own personalized pillow case....made by you just for you. 


While last I was visiting with Torch, she had herself a little sewing project -   pillow cases.   I came home invigorated because I knew just the Christmas gift I was going to make for all the nieces and nephews.  I'll probably pin some dollar greens on each pillow with a "Sweet Dreams" note card personalized for each child. 


I found my printed pattern  and immediately had questions.  The yardage wasn't specific enough for me.    It was anywhere from 24" -26" for the main fabric....larger if for larger pillows.  The cuff could be 12" plus or minus and the flange 2"-3", depending on how much your pillow case and cuff was.   I wanted SPECIFIC.


I did find a You-Tube which was very helpful until we got to the part about the French seam.  Jenny (Doan) doesn't do French seams since she has a serger sewing machine.   BUT JENNY, I SCREAMED......I don't have a serger!!!


Not to be outdone, I combined the two:  the printed pattern and the video and now can show you how I make a pillow case to fit a standard size pillow.  If you want king size, then you are on your own! 

You'll need three fabrics folded selvedge to selvedge and cut to these specifics:
  • 3/4" yard main 
  • 9" for the cuff
  • 2" for the flange 


 Place the 3 fabrics one on top of the other with center folds of each lined up and trim off the selvedges.  Now all three fabrics are the same width. 






Press the flange in half lengthwise.




Layer order:  The cuff is face up.  Next place the main fabric face up on top and the pressed/folded flap on top of the main with raw edges together.  I stabilize with a few pins then start rolling the main fabric from the bottom until I can see the cuff.  Now, pin the  top of the cuff to the already pinned layers. 




Stitch through all layers with 1/4" seam allowance. 


Pull inside out and press from both side. 




To make inside French seams, fold the fabric over on itself with WRONG SIDES TOGETHER.  Pin sides and bottom and stitch with scant 1/4" seam allowance.
Turn the pillow case wrong side out and press.  With a 3/8" seam allowance, stitch the side and bottom to completely encase and hide the raw edges inside your pillow case. 


Turn, shake it out, stuff that pillow.  Sweet Dreams.


pillow cases made by Marty Mason




Inquiring Minds? 
Selvedge: British English 
Selvage:  Plain English













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment...We love hearing from you!