Pages

Friday, July 28, 2017

Juxtapose?



Definition of juxtapose
juxtaposed
;

juxtaposing



  1. transitive verb
  2. :  to place (different things) side by side (as to compare them or contrast them or to create an interesting effect) juxtapose unexpected combinations of colors, shapes and ideas — J. F. T. Bugental

Let us just suppose that I needed a quilt back and didn't have enough of one fabric.....just suppose nothing in my stash seemed perfect.....then what is one to do?  Juxtapose what is on the fabric shelf!

For example, I had about one yard of this big geometric....and keep in mind that I needed 68" x 68" for my quilt back. 


and a small strip of this Cotton and Steel that I had been hoarding -




and several fat quarters of this floral in different colorways

After hemming and hawing about the major differences in design scale and color, I decided to go for broke and laid all my fabric out on the floor.  It worked, doggone it, it worked - the large scale geometric with the small scale floral and just a hint of stripe and a few odd pieces here and there and the juxtaposition worked beautifully (to my eye).  

I seldom purchase large quantities of fabric so must piece and patch many of my quilt backs.  It is just as much fun as putting together the quilt top - Juxtapose to the finish line. 

Now, reader, it's your turn to share how your quilt backs come together.  Are you one to purchase the 108" wide so there's no piecing.  Do you buy 6 yards and split it down the middle?  Do you piece and patch as I do? 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment...We love hearing from you!